“Foolishness is bound in the heart of a child; but the rod of correction shall drive it far from him.”
The word ‘rod’ is (literally) a stick (for punishing, writing, fighting, ruling, walking, etc.). According to Hebrew etymology in the book of Proverbs, the ‘rod’ was the symbol of discipline. But, failure to use the preventive discipline verbally and physically would end in the child’s death. Next, the origin of the word ‘correction’ refers to what binds and restricts; properly chastisement; figuratively reproof, warning or instruction; also restraint.
Please know and understand, foolishness is the love of every child’s heart born into this world—it is rooted in their nature and they do not even know it. However, the process of ‘correction’ as needed can/will help them fight against their foolishness so they may become as faithful adult Christians who …keep under their/our body and bring it into subjection… (1 Corinthians 9:27).
The phrase ‘keep under’ in First Corinthians 9:27, refers to the figurative concept to beat black and blue, and is a precept to …casting down imaginations and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God… (2 Corinthians 10:5). This is the process of spiritual and mental demolition work. You see, FOOLISHNESS IN THE HEART WILL NEVER LEAVE ON ITS OWN … it is proven by what God said, “The rod and reproof give wisdom: but a child left to himself bringeth his mother to shame.”
Ah ha! If the foolishness that is naturally in the heart of every child is not driven out with the rod AND wisdom, the child (whether or not they grow to adulthood) will not only bring shame to his/her mother, but to many in society. Remember, it is the rod and wisdom the child needs in order to learn to overcome foolishness; to save their soul from hell; and again, without any abuse toward them.
God said, “And wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times, and strength of salvation: the fear of the LORD is his treasure.”
We cannot bypass wisdom when we correct our child, and at the same time, expect them to fall in line with proper conduct and etiquette … it is NOT going to happen. Folks, wisdom never came by osmosis and it never will. We need to teach our child how to behave privately, publicly, socially, morally, faithfully, and spiritually so they can teach their child in the same manner—the rod of correction is needed for every child born into this world … WITHOUT ANY ABUSE TO ANY DEGREE!!!
Need more proof? Have you read or seen the news lately? You saw foolishness in full bloom. And, as part of the results of many adults without correction as a child, millions of innocent people are dead. Some of us need to wise up!
Consider what else God said:
- (Proverbs 13:24) He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes.
- (Proverbs 19:18) Chasten thy son while there is hope, and let not thy soul spare for his crying.
- (Proverbs 29:17) Correct thy son, and he shall give thee rest; yea, he shall give delight unto thy soul.
- (Proverbs 23:13-14) Withhold not correction from the child: for if thou beatest him with the rod, he shall not die. Thou shalt beat him with the rod, and shalt deliver his soul from hell.
- (Hebrews 12:10-11) For they verily for a few days chastened us after their own pleasure; but he for our profit, that we might be partakers of his holiness. Now no chastening for the present seemeth to be joyous, but grievous: nevertheless afterward it yieldeth the peaceable fruit of righteousness unto them which are exercised thereby.
Click to visit my Facebook Page